Friday, March 13, 2009

Introduction

I will attempt, in my blog posts, to be pragmatic.

As a math professor, I care about issues such as education, mathematics and technology, and these related topics will probably dominate this blog. I will attempt to approach topics in a pragmatic way. The following are some goals that I set for myself:

1. Ask good questions. Sometimes the same old questions recirculate, eliciting stale responses. I will attempt to cut through and find the questions that have not, but should be asked.

2. Use firsthand knowledge, and occasionally admit ignorance. I will attempt to apply the same degree of critical thought to my writing here that I apply in my scholarly work. I will not make things up. When I do not know something, I will (following goal #1) try to formulate a good question. I will never falsify data. When discussing scholarly results, I will never depend upon other media to present these results; I will always attempt to track down original citations.

3. Focus on topics with high potential impact. I am not using this blog to advance theory; my work in mathematics is theoretical enough. I will focus on questions and studies that could be implemented, and could impact large groups of people in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment